WHY BOILER EXPLOSION CAUSES SO MUCH DAMAGE?
A boiler explosion is a ruinous failure of a boiler. Any Boiler explosion results in two major events:
· The steam under pressure is suddenly exposed to much lower pressure i.e. Atmospheric Pressure resulting it to expand to almost 10-15 times expansion of its volume.
· The tremendous amount of energy stored in the pressurized boiler water is suddenly released prompting sudden evaporation of 15 to 20% of the water to get converted into Flash steam. This steam also expands to more than 1700 times its original volume causing catastrophic damages
· Aging containment that might have undergone a degree of corrosion
· Mismanagement such as unqualified boiler staff
· Water level that is much lower than the designed level
· Faulty gauges thereby allowing pressures exceeding that designed for the drum
Impact of boiler explosion varies from economic point of view due to time wastage during replacement and or repair, to loss of life in cases of fatal explosions which in turn translates to loss of manhours in the long run.It therefore goes without saying that awareness about boiler explosion should be part of core values in running a boiler, this can be achieved through:
· Having a qualified personnel on site to manage the boiler
· Running scheduled preparedness drills
· Regular boiler checks and services